LONDON — British boxer Tyson Fury has offered Anthony Joshua a chance to challenge for his WBC crown in a blockbuster British heavyweight title fight before the end of the year.
Fury has suggested he is retiring from boxing after beating Dillian Whyte in April but is now looking for a top opponent after rival champion Oleksandr Usyk said he has no plans to fight at new until 2023.
Joshua suffered a second straight loss to the Ukrainian in Saudi Arabia last month and his promoter Eddie Hearn is considering options for the 32-year-old to return to the ring.
The unbeaten Fury announced he was retiring on his 34th birthday last month after making several about-faces regarding his future in the sport.
In a video posted to social media on Monday, he appeared to confirm that he had again reversed his decision.
“You’ve all heard that I’m going to be fighting for the next few months and before I announce an opponent I have to do so just in case,” Fury said.
“Anthony Joshua I know you just lost a fight to Usyk and I know you’re unbelted right now and I want to give you the opportunity to fight me for the WBC world heavyweight championship and the straight championship in the next months.
“You’re coming out of a 12 round fight so you’re fit, you’re ready, I’ll give you a few months notice.
“If you’re interested, I’ll send you the date and we can rumble on – a Battle of Britain for the WBC heavyweight world championship. Let me know if you’re interested. If not, I’ll choose another opponent.”
Joshua responded on Twitter telling Fury to contact his management team.
“I don’t do the online chats just for weight,” Joshua wrote, before adding, “I’ll be done in December.”
Former champion Joshua fell to 24-3 with his last defeat against Usyk, but a clash with Fury would generate huge interest in Britain.
Usyk, who retained his WBO, IBF and WBA titles against Joshua, said on Friday he hoped to set up a unification bout against Fury next year.
- Editor/ main report by AFP




