GAUTENG – Three school children – all sibilings in Gauteng died at school after they reportedly consumed energy drinks given to them by their father.
The students died at school after complaining of stomach pain. One of them was taken to the nearest hospital but died en route. The fourth brother is in critical condition in hospital.
Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi took to Twitter to express dismay at news of the tragic death of three young learners who died on Thursday morning.
“I am saddened to learn about a father, who this morning allegedly poisoned his 4 children. 2 children died in our school premises while the 3rd died on his way to hospital. The 4th child is in a critical condition at the local hospital. My sincerest condolences,” Lesufi tweeted.
Police are investigating the tragedy and what exactly led to the deaths of the boys aged 6, 13 and 16 from Ratanda.
The ministry said the boys’ father gave five of his children energy drinks as they prepared for school, according to preliminary reports.
The boys were students at Ratanda Primary School and Khanya Lesedi Secondary School in Ratanda.
Department spokesman Steve Mabona thankfully says the fifth brother did not consume the energy drink.